Monday, August 27, 2012

Sore Feet and Empty Wallets


August 20
My dad left early for work, bailing on the most glorious segment of our trip: sight seeing and shopping.
While he was busy flying back to America, we spent the morning in the Vatican. I still haven’t quite sorted out how I truly feel about that tour… My cynical feelings towards the Catholic church aside, emotionally, I was torn between amazement, with regards to the truly awe-inspiring works of art and architecture, and discomfort, a direct result of sore legs/feet (shakes fist at Rome’s hilly landscape, special emphasis on the Spanish Steps) and the presence of the massive amounts of humans pressing in on all sides (apparently, Rome is one of those “deodorant optional” cities).
We finally left St. Peter’s Basilica as exhaustion and hunger washed over us only to discover that we were still two hours shy of our next meal. The pure devastation felt by our entire group was palpable, however it was quickly remedied by the decision to walk endlessly without a proper destination! The sigh of relief was like a gale force wind, as I’m sure you can imagine. Though this arrangement was made under the pretext of killing time in the name of materialism, only those in the group over the age of 13 and lacking in male genitalia were truly happy with it.
Being one of the lucky few belonging to that very specific class of humans, I can honestly say that I was very supportive of the plan, and my closet definitely benefited.
Between the shopping, lunch, and more shopping, our good friends the Leonardis left us for Bologna.
Following a quick siesta in the hotel, our diminished crew headed out for dinner where our wonderfully adorable waiter shamelessly flirted with each one of us (save for my poor, left out brother).
But seriously. Italy and Croatia both LOVE their stairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment